Hiroshima viewpoints - Mount Futaba (Futabasan)



Japan's most iconic symbol, the torii gate "floating" in the sea, is on the island of Itsukushima just off the coast of Hiroshima. So obviously I wanted to see it, but as it turned out, it was under renovation at the time, all scaffolded up. I still had time after exploring most of the main sights in Hiroshima, so I decided to go for a hike. The tourist office suggested Mount Futaba (Futabasan), located near the JR Station, with a silver stupa on top of it. It was an easy, short hike, passing several torii gates and some shrines. You have a partial, but nice view of Hiroshima from the top. Then, along the top through the forest, you can reach the stupa, known as the Peace Pagoda. Standing above a cemetery, you have a wider view of the city from here. You can also see the bay with some of the islands, including Itsukushima which I had to skip. 

Trail map


1. Entry to the temple compound, trailhead; 2. Temple; 3. Shrine; 4. Top, military ruin; 5. Peace Pagoda; 6. Cemetery.

Other hikes and viewpoints in Hiroshima: Hijiyama Park and  Ogonzan (Mount Ogon).

Hike in photos





























Popular posts from this blog

Leshan (very basic) tourist information with map

Hiking to Damian Mountain and Xingping viewpoints near Yangshuo

Riyadh - Transport and districts (updated in July 2025)