Stopover in Fukuoka, a beautiful port city

 


Fukuoka is my final destination in Japan, as I want to take the ferry from there to South Korea. But if I came this far, I also wanted to visit Nagasaki which is not that far. I planned to stay a few days in Fukuoka before moving on to Nagasaki, but the accommodation prices on the weekend were ridiculously expensive. So I ended up staying only one night, and having only a few glimpses of Fukuoka. But from the little I saw, I can say it is a beautiful city! Now I'm in Nagasaki, but will return soon and spend there a few days.

From Fukuoka's main station, Hakata Station, first I headed to the port to find out about the ferry to Busan, Korea. It departs daily and costs a reasonable ¥12,000 (GBP 60).









Like most cities in Japan, Fukuoka also has a tower. (It looks quite similar to Osaka's Tsutenkaku.) But unlike every other place I visited, it is actually free! And the views are spectacular! 





























From the tower, passing by the boat racing ring, I headed to my hostel near Fukuoka Castle. 













Another part of the extensive port area. 







The next day, I walked back to the railway station through some central parts of the city. 












A vintage train at Hakata Station, and my express to Nagasaki arriving. 




Popular posts from this blog

Leshan (very basic) tourist information with map

Hiking to Damian Mountain and Xingping viewpoints near Yangshuo

Riyadh - Transport and districts (updated in July 2025)