Cerro Kennedy - Views of the snow-capped Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta and its foothills reaching the Caribbean coast

 


Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta is the world's tallest mountain that stands next to a sea, and its snow-covered peaks, Pico Simón Bolívar and Pico Cristóbal Colón, reach a height of around 5,775 metres ASL. Only experienced mountaineers with proper gear can reach them, but from a peak known as Cerro Kennedy you can see them as well as the coast. Cerro Kennedy is about 30 kilometres from Minca, and one way to get there is by a motor-taxi. That's what I did, starting at around 4 AM, and after about 1.5 hours over a bumpy road we arrived just before sunrise. To save money, I walked back to Minca. It's all down-hill, but still it was a tiring hike. Photos taken with my shitty smartphone are not that good, but anyway they give an idea of what the hike was like. Then, when I left the Caribbean coast, I had a last view of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta from the aeroplane.




























































Popular posts from this blog

Leshan (very basic) tourist information with map

Hiking to Damian Mountain and Xingping viewpoints near Yangshuo

Riyadh - Transport and districts (updated in July 2025)