Downhill walk from Phou Khoun to Kasi


The road between Kasi and Phou Khoun is very scenic, I realised on my way up, so I decided to return. I was thinking of renting a scooter in Phou Khoun, but locals told me nobody has any for rent, and I am not that confident with these motorised two-wheeled machines anyhow. If I knew about this scenic route, I would have rented a bicycle in Kasi and have it taken up by a bus, then just roll down back. Anyway, if I wanted to travel this route at my own pace, I had no other choice but to walk. I left Phou Khoun early in the morning, hitched a ride out of town to the first view point, Phu Paing Far, from where I started walking. Locals were friendly, a Hmong man invited me to eat and finish a bottle of not too strong home-brew with them and even wanted me to stay overnight at his place, but I had to carry on. It is all downhill about 3/4 of the way, until the small river (stream) called Nam Kaen, from where it is a gentle but steady uphill for a while when it becomes a gentle but steady descent. Shortly after Nam Kaen, there is a hot spring which seems to be a popular picnic spot. You can also camp here, which was my original plan, but since I got here early, I decided to continue. This is also where you leave Pha Tiao behind, the rugged peak that dominates the view all along - from here, the landscape changes to rolling hills and rocky outcrops, with the view of big mountains in the far distance. I stopped shortly before Kasi in a village - I walked 26 kms to this point according to my GPS, which is not that much, but I was carrying a heavy bag and got quite tired and sore. Here, I had to drink beer with friendly Khmu people, then I hailed down a microbus. A small village, Phathang, is what I still wanted to visit, but then I will be saying goodbye to the Vang Vieng area.




























































Popular posts from this blog

Leshan (very basic) tourist information with map

Hiking to Damian Mountain and Xingping viewpoints near Yangshuo

Riyadh - Transport and districts (updated in July 2025)